The cover of the earliest Rutland County Courthouse in 1784, serves as an introduction to the third article of Eighteenth Century Rutland written by James S. Davidson. The initial two articles can be found in Vol.20, no.1, 1990 and Vol.21, no. 1, 1991.
The current discusses the growth of Rutland from its frontier foundations to its urban beginning covering the years 1770 to 1791.
Mr. Davidson, president of the Rutland Historical Society continues his research of the first settlements indicating that they were chosen based on the available fertile soil. He then explores the later progression that led into community groupings based on religious beliefs and building of Churches within those communities.
To establish the validity of this concept Mr. Davidson provides church records, maps of the divided communities, and an extensive number of back notes to support his thesis. A well-researched and interesting look at Rutland’s growth during the eighteenth century.